Updates from the Box 12/29/2016
Updates from the box….New things coming to CFH in 2017
- ROM WOD- Starting on Sunday January 7th we will be adding a class at 3:30pm with emphasis on ROM WOD (Range of Motion) and mobility. This class will be held every Sunday at this time moving forward. Coach Tom and Coach Brandon will be leading this class. Many of us struggle with different mobility issues and this class will be a great way to learn how to improve on this. Please be on time since this is only a 30 minute session.
- New equipment- We recently have purchased some new equipment. As many of you have noticed, we have a full dumbbell rack in the garage. We also have purchased new wall balls, kettle bells, bands and spotting arms for the rack in the garage. We are also in the process of re-doing the sandbags since many of them are leaking. We hope to have them back in use by mid-January. If you find a wall ball that is leaking, please let one of the coaches know so we can take it out of service. This also applies to any equipment that is damaged or needs replaced.
- Open Space/Open Time- By recently moving some of our equipment into the main gym and out of the garage, we have opened up more space for members to do “open work” in the garage area. In the future we plan to add more matting to the garage area as well. Please remember that we LOVE to see you guys doing extra work and utilizing “open time”, however, as always, please be respectful of the scheduled classes in session during that time. If possible, use the garage area or the back of the box beside the jerk boxes and lifting platform. You can also set the rowers up to make space, as long as the class will not be using them for the WOD or warm-up. If you need to use space on the main floor, you MUST ask the coach who is conducting the class for permission. They can make the best judgement at that time if the space is available depending on class size, ect.
- OLY lifting meet- We are planning to hold a small, non-sanctioned CrossFit Style Olympic Lifting Meet early this year. This will be open to members of CFH and to anyone else who may want to participate. Once we have more details and a date confirmed, we will let you know. There will be a fee for entry and prizes will be awarded.
- Thank you! - Jeff and I want to thank each and every one of you once again for your kindness and thoughtfulness that was shown to those in need during the Christmas season. We were able to provide numerous toys, clothing, pillows and blankets to 5 different children this Christmas who otherwise may have not received anything. Thank you as well to those who volunteered to help wrap gifts and distribute them to these families. This is a shining example of what our community and CrossFit family is really about. Special recognition to Jaymz, Sarah and Veronica who went the extra mile to find these families and make sure that they were taken care of this year. Look for more “fundraising activities” in 2017 around Memorial Day for our Veteran’s and in August for “Back to School.”
- Little Victories- During the month of November, we participated in a fundraising event for Little Victories, a local no-kill animal shelter. All of our members who “checked in” to CrossFit Huntington during this month contributed to this donation. At the end of the month we raised $150.00 from your check in’s. We would also like to recognize a “special member” who stepped up and volunteered to match the amount we had raised. Total donation from CrossFit Huntington to Little Victories with this members match came to $300.00!
- Foundations $20.17- Staring Jan 2nd we will offer foundations for $20.17 for the entire month of January. Please help spread the word for us by sharing our posts on social media and telling your friends and families about CFH. As always, our best referrals come from our members. We appreciate everyone you have sent to us and continue to refer to us!
- Massage Therapy is at CFH!- We are still taking weekly appointments with our massage therapist, Mandi Wilson. She is offering Swedish, deep tissue, sports, prenatal and geriatric massage. Appointments can be scheduled each week by notifying Amy or signing up on the sheet by the whiteboard. Prices per session will be $30.00 for 30 minutes and $60.00 for 1 hour. A discount will be offered to military and first responders with proper ID. She will accept cash and checks only for payment at this time. Once again, please check the whiteboard for available time slots.
- Macros- On January 7th at 5:00 pm, Coach Tom will conduct another discussion on “Tracking Macros.” The participants from the previous 9 week session really saw some awesome results and would be great people to talk to if you want feedback on their success. If you plan on attending, please let Coach Tom know so we can get you added to the Facebook Macro Group. Also if you are currently in the group and wish to attend the discussion on January 7th, please post a comment on the group page so we can get an idea how many may be attending. If you do not currently have the My Fitness Pal ap, please take time to download it prior to the meeting.
- Naughty or Nice Fundraiser- Thank you to everyone who participated and brought in gifts for this. We delivered approximately 30 toys to the “adopt a block” organization to be distributed as needed for Christmas.
- Tree Sale- Thank you once again to our volunteers who showed up to sell trees for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Tri-State. This will be an annual event that we will plan on supporting so if you missed out this year you can sign up next year if you choose to.
- Dietitian Appointments- Shanna our Registered Dietitian has asked that I let you all know that in addition to her monthly scheduled appointments, she is also willing to talk with you one on one when you have questions. You can reach her best by sending a message out to her on Facebook.
- 2017 Festivus Games- Once again, CrossFit Huntington is planning on hosting The Festivus Games. Categories include Novice, Intermediate and 45 plus masters Athletes. This one isn’t for the RX or Fire Breathers. The first 15 athletes save $10.00 off the regular entry price and receive a free Athlete shirt. This event will be held on Saturday April 22, 2017. Registration is open now so get in early, secure your spot, save $$ and get the free shirt! Check out the WODS at https://festivusgames.com/divisions then click https://festivusgames.com/register/588/ to register.
And finally…. May the New Year bring joy, peace and happiness to you and your entire family. Happy New Year!
Amy, Jeff & the rest of the CFH Team!
Posted on Thu, December 29, 2016
by Amy Ash